Somewhere between our hectic days and relaxing evenings, between fashion crushes and can’t be bothered moods, there are so many things left undone and unsaid it’s a pity. And if you, like me, are a bit of a procrastinator with a case of ADD then you’re practically fucked. An idea you might have today, a thought that lingers too long in your mind, if not shared, becomes wasted. Until it’s too late. But sometimes… when it comes back to you repeatedly you know you gotta say something about it.
When last spring I went shopping with my friends over at some vintage market and of my girls found a perfect silky long oversized button-down shirt, and was stuck between buying it or not, it hit me: YES buy it, it’ll make the perfect casual chic even glam dress in summer.
I made a mental note right then and there to write about shirt dresses. Meanwhile life happened and I forgot. Then, every time I remembered I still chose for some reason to postpone it. Until today.
SHIRT DRESSES we can never have too many dresses ideas for the hot season, especially when they’re a perfect style combo of casual to even office wear. Such a perfect combo holds the SHIRT DRESS.What is a shirt dress? Basically it’s a longer version of a shirt, button-down usually, slightly oversized, long, that looks like a shirt but acts like a dress.
How To Wear A Shirt Dress?
In a nutshell: like a dress. Having said that, it’s the shoes usually which set the tone of the outfit, and perhaps even the shirt’s cut, fabric and design.
You can wear it cinged at the waist with a belt (thin belts are always better in my opinion, and if you want thicker styles, just layer more thin belts). Or, you can leave it un-belted fr a more sophisticated effortless vibe of the whole look. (not that anyone’s asking, but this is my favourite).
- ballet pumps are for casual Saturdays and French chic styles.
- stiletto sandals are for a more glamorous yet effortless look. Tip: wear these with a shirt dress NOT cinged at the waist, to create that balanced silhouette that oozes effortlessness. Think sack oversized dress with sexy heels. Perfect balance.
- brogues are for a more androgynous sophisticated style and look great with both a shirt dress belted or not. A leather jacket on top is the perfect adage and so is jewellery.
- chunky heels give a 70s comfy but sexy kinda twist to the shirt dress. Tip: wear a white crispy shirt dress with a pair of dark brown chunky sandals.
- ankle boots are perfect for a very very boho chic style. Think weekend looks, even casual office wear. Top the style with a messenger bag and a leather brown jacket.
- classic pumps or heeled summer ankle bootsmake the shirt dress office appropriate. Think dark or white crispy shirt dress, knee length, or slightly longer in the back, with or without a belt, a blazer on top, a great watch, a bag, a pair of eyeglasses and you. will. look. flawless. Professional but effortless.
For evening par example you can don a silky shirt dress, no belt, with a pair of uber hot ‘n sexy stiletto sandals.
For a classic take on this dress style wear a blazer on top, and for a tiny bit of edgeswitch to a leather jacket or a leather vest.
Tips: roll up your sleeves. Wear thin layered necklaces or a massive bracelet. And remember you can even wear such dresses on your summer vacation. Think white shirt dresses, heavily unbuttoned with a pair of gladiator sandals or flip flops, a hat, a pair of shades, and a massive beach bag will complete the look.
And now some pics.
Get the look: